Electrified sports car on the way

Porsche is currently working on what appears to be an electronic version of the updated 911 Carrera.

Porsche has been testing prototypes for an electrified version of the updated 911 Turbo for almost a year, but this is the first time we’ve seen a prototype for an electric version of the base carrier. The gift is a yellow sticker on the windshield, a requirement for testing electric cars in Nবারrburg, where the prototype was taken.

Porsche CEO Oliver Bloom confirmed in March that an electrified 911 was coming. He said it would be a hybrid like the former 919 Hybrid LMP1 race car, and not a plug-in hybrid like the 918 Spider Hypercar. This means there will be no plug, and no electric motor-generator (s) will be used to fully support the internal-combustion engine and to recover power under braking.

This was said by August Achilles, a veteran Porsche engineer whose Porsche swan song was the current 992-generation 911. Motor authority In a 2019 interview.

“We’ve spent a lot of money on LMP1 engagement, but we’ve learned a lot,” he said. “I think right now we’re one step ahead of other competitors and we want to use it.”

The first member of the updated 911 range, which is internally referred to as the 992.2 generation, should start appearing in 2023, which means they will probably arrive as a 2024 model. The electrified 911 will probably be a new member, perhaps a Carrera S E-Hybrid, or labeled Carrera 4S E-Hybrid if the electric motor is used to power the front wheels.

2024 Porsche 911 Hybrid Spy Shot - Photo Credit: S.  Baldauff / SB-Median

2024 Porsche 911 Hybrid Spy Shot – Photo Credit: S. Baldauff / SB-Median

Interestingly, there are also rumors that the updated Carrera will feature a newer, naturally more ambitious engine than the current turbocharged unit. This is somewhat supported by new air vents in the rear fascia of the prototypes, a common sign of the 911 prototype testing a new engine.

What about the electrified 911 turbo? The jury is still out on whether this model will be a regular hybrid or a plug-in hybrid route.

Porsche is widely committed to electrification. The automaker aims to have 80% of its sales of electric vehicles by 2030. And the remaining 20% ​​will be mostly hybrid, which will be made entirely by 911 – the last holdout in the Porsche for the internal-combustion engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.